System Design and Composition
Reservation and Waiting
1. People can download the reservation App (Kaohsiung iBus) into their mobile phones in advance. If they want to take a bus, they can go toward a bus stop and perform real-time information inquiry of the buses via the App and enter the needed information for reservation.
2. Upon receiving the reservation request and detecting that the LBS (Location-Based Service) information sent out by the mobile phone is within the range of the designated bus stop (indicating that the user is indeed near the bus stop and able to walk toward it, and that the range can be adjusted by the back-end system, with the default radius at 200 meters), the system automatically activates the reservation service.
3. After the reservation is successfully activated, the mobile App will automatically provide a notification to the user of the bus en route. Through mobile phone vibration and notification messages, the user learns that the bus shall arrive within n minutes and goes to the stop to be ready to get onboard.
4. Before entering the station, the driver sees that the light of the bus stop up front is on, indicating that there are people waiting for the ride.
5. After the bus leaves the station, the central system detects the GPS of the bus leaving the station and the back-end system automatically shuts off the bus calling light at the station.
6. Users can also activate the light by using the service buttons located at the bus stop. Smart signs and voice notification at the bus stops will remind the users whether to complete the reservation and the bus status information.
As the point of origin and the destination are entered into the App in advance, 5 minutes before getting off the bus at the next station, the mobile phones vibrate or send out message notification to remind the passengers of the pending arrival, helping them to be aware of the status and get ready to get off.